The Safety Center
General Fire Safety Information
Here are a few important things you should know about dealing with a fire emergency in the building:
- Listen closely for instructions broadcast over the emergency PA system.
- DO NOT use elevators unless instructed to do so by the fire department who will have checked to assure that they are safe.
- The security doors/stairwells leading from the reception areas will automatically unlock if electric power goes out during an emergency.
- Use the stairwells indicated on the floor plans. In the stairwells, always keep to the OUTSIDE (wall-side) lane regardless of whether you are going up or down...Firemen use the inside lane of the stairwells.
- DO NOT go through any door without first checking to see if the door is hot. Choose another exit if the door is hot.
- Close all doors after you pass through.
- The cleanest air is closest to the floor...when smoke is present, STAY LOW.
- DO NOT take time to gather personal belongings or go back for them. Remember, in an emergency, LIFE SAFETY IS YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN.
- Make it your business to know where all exits are on your floor...it could save your life.
Click here for additional information on building evacuation.